Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lost and Found

After received chemotherapy for ovarian cancer, the patient developed severe 
stinging pain and numbness in her palms and on the bottom of her feet, the patient was
coming in and out of the emergency room because of her intractable pain"'
After received Enrac CMT, the result was obvious:right after i finished treating the 
last pressure point, I heard a much more upbeat and cheerful tone from the patient". 
---Case Report:Tung-Hsiang Chang, M.D

 I remembered one day, Ms. Huang (one of the nurses in the operation room)asked 
me,  "Dr. Chang can you please take a look at my mother? She is very unwell.she 
has been to the emergency room many times because of her pain, and the doctor 
told us there is nothing they can do," and since Ms. Huang was a very important  
assistant for me so that by helping her I was actually helping myself, I decided to 
set up an appointment with Ms. Huang'mother to gain a better understanding of 
her conditions.
 The patient-Ms. Huang' s mother came to the clinic accompanied by herhusband on
 a weekend morning. She was having severe chest pain, she had gone to the 
emergency room several times already, and there the doctor had arranged her for 
a chest x-ray, ECG, and biochemical examination, but could not find any 
abnormalities. She felt there was a swollen-like pain in the lower right part of her
pelvis, and after she was transferred to the Department of Cardiovascular  
Medicine and underwent an abdominal ultrasound/sonography, ovarian cancer 
was found. Chemotherapy soon followed,but after chemotherapy she developed 
severe stinging pain and numbness in her palms and on the bottom of her feet. 
She was coming in and out of the emergency room because of her intractable pain,
but even the doctors felt powerless to help her and told her there was nothing they 
could to do since the ovarian tumor was already removed and the pain was not 
life threatening.
   The patient came to me, and after hearing her plea, I felt like I could relate to her 
and helplessness, I thought there must be something else the medical service could
offer. In the beginning I was frustrated by the symptoms and complications of the 
patient, but then the encouraging words of Dr. Ko came to mind; Dr.Ko once said 
to all of' the Enrac physicians on graduation day, he said  "You are now all general
practitioners; you are all versatile enough to help and give it all to the patients" ;
 I also thought about the words of wisdom from a Taiwanese Buddhist nun /teacher
 and philanthropist, she said  "learning by doing"  ; remembering those words at 
the time really gave me the strength and confidence that was needed. I started to 
treat her with Enrac CMT, and with a focused mind,I found the pathophysiology of
symptoms and then prescribed a treatment with all the pressurepoints precisely 
listed I got out my press stick(after telling the patient before the treatment that I was
 going to use pressing stick instead of the ENRAC Electrotherapy Stimulator, and 
that the treatment may be a little more painful as a result, but because of what she 
had already been through, she was able to go through the whole treatment process 
with ease).
   The result was obvious: right after I finished the last treatment I heard a much 
more upbeat and cheerful tone from the patient, she said:
 "what a pleasant surprise! I feel a whole lot better, the numbness and pain is 
really all gone!"  I felt warmth inside, not only having fulfilled my occupational 
obligation as a doctor,but also for not letting Dr. Ko down.